This is something you would be in a mood to rustle up around weekend time, especially when guests are coming over. But we bet, the effort would be worth it. The sinfully yummy Mocha syrup pudding recipe is right below.
1¼ cups plain flour
½ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp soda-bi-carb
¾ cup yogurt
1 cup powdered sugar
½ cup oil
3 tsp coffee powder mixed in 1 tbsp hot water
1 tsp vanilla essence a big ring mould (8” diameter)
3 tsp coffee powder, ¾ cup brown sugar
1 cup water
fruit cream to fill
½ cup thick cream
2 tbsp powdered sugar or to taste
1 cup fruit cocktail – strain to discard liquid and leave in the strainer for 15 minutes
1 tbsp black raisins
2 tbsp chopped almonds and 2 tbsp chopped cashews – toasted on a tawa till golden
* Grease a big (8-9” diameter) ring tin with oil, using a brush.
* Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa powder together.
* Combine coffee and hot water.
* Beat yogurt and sugar till fluffy. Add coffee mix and essence.
* Add oil very gradually, while beating continuously.
* Fold in sifted flour mixture with wooden spoon gently.
* Pour mixture into tin. Bake in preheated oven at 160°C/325°F for 45-50 minutes. Insert a skewer or knife to check cake. After 5 minutes, remove cake from tin to a wire rack. Cover with the empty tin to keep it moist.
* For the coffee syrup, combine water and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add coffee, stir over low heat to mix well. Remove from fire. Transfer the cake to a serving platter. Spoon hot syrup over the hot over cake.
* Let the cake absorb the syrup. Cover with a wrap or invert the empty cake ring tin on the cake to prevent it from drying. You can leave it outside the fridge if it has to be served on the same day or refrigerate.
* To make fruit cream, whip cream till very stiff. If using tatra pack cream, take only thick cream, discarding the liquid. Whip till thick. Add 2 tbsp powdered sugar and ¼ tsp vanilla essence to whipped cream and whip till stiff. Add fruit cocktail, toasted nuts & raisins to whipped cream. Refrigerate till serving time.
* To serve the pudding, warm the cake for 5-10 seconds in the microwave to bring it to room temperature. Fill the centre hollow with fruit cream to give a heaped look. Serve.