Not a ‘healthy’ idea to have chicken at roadside eateries

“At least 70% common gastroenterological infections may be associated with eating out." (Saurabh Raj Sharan/Getty Images)
Your favourite chicken curry can be a source for food poisoning due to lack of hygiene at meat vendors.”At least 70% common gastroenterological infections may be associated with eating out. When we ask patients about what they ate last, the most common answer is non-vegetarian food at an eating joint,” shared Dr Abhijit Chandra, head of surgical gastroenterology department, King George’s Medical University.

“Take a trip to the Narhi vegetable market and see how chicken and fish are culled and you would get an idea of the hygiene standards,” said Dr S K Varma, a general physician of the city.

TOI verified the claim at the market. Skin and other parts are piled up outside and vendors wash the meat with the same water at least 6-8 times. Mutton vendors hang the meat in the open and one can see the layer of dust on the meat. Health experts suggested that exposure to heat and dust is a cause of disease in several ways.

Studies in other parts of India prove that meat available in the wet market is unhealthy . A study carried out by department of livestock production technology , Mumbai Veterinary College found meat bought from the wet market full of microbes. Published in the Indian Journal of Animal Research, the study revealed 100% presence of staphylococcus aureus bacteria known to cause of a range of illnesses. The list includes minor skin infections from pimples, impetigo, boils, cellulitis, folliculitis, carbuncles, scalded skin syndrome and abscesses to life-threatening diseases.

Up to 80% meat showed presence of E.coli, a bacteria which may cause diarrhoea.But in some cases, it may also cause life-threatening kidney or liver damage. Case study: When Mamta’s teenaged daughter Saumya fainted at a wedding function, she had the least idea that her daughter’s penchant for chicken chowmein would turn out to be the cause of the disease. “She was diagnosed with neurocysticercosis, which is caused by worms,” said Mamta, recalling how Saumya suffered with epilepsy like episodes for three years. “Neurocysticercosis is linked to intake of unhygienic food, mostly non-vegetarian,” said Dr Varma, drawing attention towards the problem of poorly managed food.

Related posts