Metabolism is a crucial body process that helps you utilize energy. It is an essential body function for maintaining life. In simpler words, metabolism comprises chemical processes that help in burning calories from the food you eat. While it is important to keep your metabolism high while losing weight, it is equally important to maintain it high to stay in shape after you have achieved the desired weight loss. Following the right nutrition diet plan and regular moderate exercise can help you boost your metabolism to sustain the achieved weight loss. Let’s learn more about metabolism and how you can boost it post weight loss.
The process of metabolism comprises these crucial functions to utilize energy.
- Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR):It refers to the measure of calories or energy your body utilizes for your survival. Even when you are sleeping, your body utilizes the energy for pumping the blood and maintaining your heartbeat.
- Thermic Effect of Food (TEF):Energy is also necessary for processing the consumed food. TEF refers to the calories you burn or the energy you need for digesting the ingested food. TEF is small in comparison to the calories you consume.
- Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT):While you do your usual daily activities, your body burns significant calories. This is called NEAT. For instance, climbing the stairs of your house and walking to your work are daily activities that need energy. These usual routine activities need calories, and NEAT refers to it.
Once we achieve the desired weight loss goals, we often happen to let loose our workout and diet plans for weight loss. Post weight loss our metabolism also reduces. So, we often gain lost weight soon and fail to sustain the achieved weight for long. However, following the right dietary modifications and adding exercise to your routine can help you boost your metabolism post weight loss. Here’s a quick rundown at metabolism-boosting tips with a nutrition diet plan.
6 Simple Yet Beneficial Tips for Boosting Metabolism:
- Have nutritious, quality foods:Choose to eat whole foods. Prefer to have unprocessed foods and avoid processed foods. Eating an excessive low-calorie diet after achieving weight loss can slow down your metabolism, so avoid it. Sufficient calorie intake is healthy. Add nutritious, whole foods to your regular diet and maintain good metabolism. A certified dietician for weight loss can help you choose quality foods.
- Eat at regular intervals:Having your food at consistent times supports maintaining your metabolic balance. If you eat plenty of food at once and then do not eat food for a prolonged span, your body may end up burning calories gradually and lowering your metabolism. So, it is necessary to eat at regular intervals. Consume small meals every 3 or 4 hours. Develop your nutrition diet plan Having small yet frequent meals will prevent you from starving and help keep your metabolism up post weight loss.
- Add proteins and fibre to your diet:Eating foods abundant in proteins prevents the metabolism from slowing down and helps you maintain it high after weight loss. The thermic effect of food (TEF as seen above) that of protein is quite high as compared to fats and carbohydrates. Medical studies reveal that eating proteins boost your metabolism by 20% to 30%. Your metabolic rate, which may reduce after weight loss, can be sustained and the fall in the metabolism can be minimized post weight loss with sufficient intake of proteins. Eating 0.5 grams of proteins per pound of your body weight can help prevent your metabolism from reducing post weight loss.
Also, eating foods abundant in fibre helps you stay full for longer and beats the hunger pangs which may experience after weight loss. Thus, foods rich in fibre and proteins help you in sustaining weight loss healthily.
- Get enough quality sleep:Sound, continuous sleep at night is essential for maintaining good health. Deprivation of sleep increases your risk of developing several health ailments, ranging from depression to cardiac conditions. Inadequate sleep may reduce your metabolic rate and may make you gain weight. Also, a lack of sleep may disrupt your internal clock and circadian rhythms of your body. So, to keep your metabolism up, maintain physical and psychological good health, and sustain your achieved weight loss, have adequate sleep daily.
- Opt for B Vitamins:Vitamin B1, B2, and B6 play a pivotal role in maintaining good metabolism. So, adding vitamin B abundant foods to your nutrition diet plan can help you raise your metabolism, nourish your body, and maintain the achieved weight loss. Bananas, peas, eggs, whole-grain foods, spinach, and peanut butter are some foods rich in vitamin B. Do add them to your diet.
Do Exercise Regularly: Regular physical activity is an effective way to boost your metabolism post weight loss. While you do cardio exercise, you can also focus on adding weight-bearing exercises to your workout routine. Strength training can help you lose fat and save muscle mass. The more is your muscle mass, the higher would be your metabolism. Individuals who burn plenty of calories daily by doing exercise and who eat sufficient nutritious food to maintain weight are successful in boosting their metabolic rate. So, besides following nutrition food for weight loss, follow a healthy workout routine to stay in shape.
Now that you know these easy yet effective ways to boost your metabolism after achieving desired weight loss, be sure you follow them. Consulting expert dieticians for weight loss, such as health experts at Health Total, can prove beneficial in enjoying sustainable weight loss effortlessly. Be quick, get in touch with us at Health Total, and embark on your journey to stay in shape healthily.