Introducing burpees – a classic example of what looks easy to pull-off at first but is deceptive in reality. The exercise is a grueling combination of push-ups and squats, done repeatedly. Burpees can be done anywhere, anytime with no external machines, devices or equipment. It works on pretty much every muscle in your body while you perform it. The trick is to do it quickly, with high intensity, and it will help you burn calories like a miracle. Burpees boosts endurance and enhances your strength. With every repetition done, you’ll work your arms, chest, legs, glutes, hamstrings and abs.
– Stand straight, and then lower yourself into a squat position with your hands on the floor in front of you.
Kick your feet back into a push-up position and immediately drop your chest to the floor.
– From there, come back to the push-up position & jump your feet forward in between your arms. Jump up and raise your arms overhead.
– Repeat 15 – 20 times and gradually increase the count as the stamina builds up over the time.
What makes burpees so effective in burning fat is the fact that it renders your body a complete cardio routine coupled with body weight training. As you go on to do reps and maintain the intensity, your heart rate goes up. It actively engages your core, legs, arms, butt and chest, and trains the associated muscles as well. If you are not comfortable with the jump-squat-pushup routine, try eliminating the kickback-to-pushup position. Alternatively, you can kickback into a high plank position and take back one foot at a time instead of going into a pushup. Another variation for beginners is where you eliminate the pushup stage altogether, kicking back to a high plank position and from there back to the top.
Things to Keep in Mind
– It is better to go a bit slow and not take rest rather than going fast and pausing mid-way.
– Don’t forget to take deep breaths. It will help you go on without panting.
– Do not arch your back as you enter the plank position, it can cause injury to your lower back.
– Maintain correct posture and do it under supervision.
Burpees is one of the most preferred warm-up exercises for many fitness enthusiasts. From a beginner to the ones who love taking their fitness routine to a new level, burpees seamlessly fits into the workout regime of one and all and it is about time you gave it a try.